Tuesday, July 31, 2007

day 1 july 28 -29








i live next to the clock tower

this is one of the traains i missed

this is the hotel i had to go to get my keys


To start today off (today being yesterday and today) I cleaned my room and got all of my affairs in order then I went for a bike ride with dad stopping at kwik trip for breakfast then we had lunch then mom and dad drove me to the airport they changed some money over for me then wish me fair well as I went through security. Security was a lot more lax than I thought it would be. I got stopped because I didn’t take my laptop out of my bag but it was no problem I had an hour to wait any how. Then I found my gate G6 and watched people we boarded the plane take off was fun and some of the scenic views from my window were so breath taking I couldn’t look away every seat had a 6-8 inch television screen in front of it and I found out I could make it continuously display the airplanes position and characteristics (speed altitude tail wind speed temp outside) it was great fun then I decided that since I wouldn’t get any sleep on the flight I started to watch the movie 300 (because that was an option in the screen) less than half way through the computer crashed and it rebooted but it didn’t want to display the movie or display the air craft stuff I also notice the big screens in front were frozen to. However I was able to manually track the airplane unfortunately the flight crew shut off the monitors before we landed so I couldn’t see the altimeter go negative. We ended up getting there ½ hour early.

After tat flight we got off the plane I looked up my gate number c-12 and headed to the gate. My father is right security at shipole is insane. They were frisking every other person luckily I didn’t set off the metal detector and was not in line to get frisked. Then I headed to my gate and sat for 2 hours. Then we boarded the plane the plane could probably hold 100-150 people there was a total of 30 of us at most what I found really amusing is that the first plane was nice and comfy were as the second plane looked like something that the pilot salvaged and he must have also found the stewardesses dresses (they were seriously the stereo typical stewardess dress of the seventies.

After we landed I followed every body else to the baggage claim to get my luggage I saw a bathroom there and thought I should go now but if I do I will leave my luggage in the open, so I got my bag and started to look for the s-bahn the main entrance had bee abandoned years ago so you had go down stairs and work a god awful machine that would only translate half of the words properly eventually I got it and got to bad constatt I figured out how to get a ticket to schwabisch hall and was waiting on platform 8 for it at 11:44 then a trained pulled up to another plat form and I thought good for them, were is my train then as the train pulled away I saw the words “S hall hessentle” I thought fine I’ll wait an hour till it comes back and then train that came at 12:44 was for Nurnberg so I didn’t get on then the next hour which was scheduled to go to schwabisch hall didn’t show up so I bought another ticket thinking that the last one I bought wouldn’t work for a transfer but the tickets were identical then after waiting two More hours to get on the train I thought I should really go to the bathroom. The bathroom at the train station has a rotating door to small for my bags to get through and it cost five Euros to get in so I figured I’d hold it at every stop I was concerned I would wet my pants finally I got to the end of the line and latterly ran to the station which happened to be entirely devoid of personnel and bathrooms so I ran next door. I never realized how good my German could be until I started to threaten/bride this man to let my use his bathroom. Then I waited for the bus but closer inspection of the schedule revealed that no bus was going to schwabish hall on Sundays so I was forced to take a cab I got in and the driver was having a fabulous time talking to me about he Goethe program and stuff then he asked were I was from and I said (ich bin von America) then all the sudden he got really quite and his breathing got really heavy I sat awquardly for several minutes till we drove over a hill displaying a panorama of the city. Then he started doing the tourist guide thing and frightened I showed as much interest as possible (I saw a bike shop on the way down) finally we got to the hotel and I got my keys, before we left he was quite insistent that he drive me to my room too but being the Dutchman I am I said no I’ll walk there. I walked the streets down by the river in a light drizzle trying to find a road that was blocked by a building and trying to find the name of a building with no doors and surrounded by a city wall then it started to rain after 10 – 20 more attempts I was wet and tired and disappointed in the ""lovely city"" that was covered in graffiti I went into a public bathroom (because I had to pee again at the time to) and just started to cry for about 5 minutes I had tried to contact the advisors but the numbers didn’t work and I had been dragging around a 55 lb suitcase on cobble stones for several hours I had not slept the night before and it just became to much.

Then I called dad who I had seen tried to call me an hour before and he got me in contact with marrie trappl she felt it was best for me to turn right and keep going straight. And it is really imperative that I turn right and keep going straight and if that doesn’t work I should ask a person at the hotel for help and she told me to turn right and keep going straight five or six more times till I just left.

I finally made it to the dorm and I was working on getting the key in the door when a girl walked up behind me, so I jumped out of the way to let her in first. I walked up to room four and found what looked to be girls clothing scattered over every thing and the notebooks on the desk had girly hand writing so I naturally assumed my roommate was a girl which I did not want (what the hell is central thinking) so I figured it might be a guy who has a girlfriend so I’ll just go get my stuff and put it in the room if it’s a girl I can sleep in the lounge for one night before we get it straightened out. When I came back with my luggage I was struggling with the key in the door if you keep rotating it nothing happens (I don’t feel secure in this place the doors are built to be broken and the locks are a joke) any way a group of 5-6 guys walked up behind me and tried to great me I immediately assumed they were my house mates so I asked them how the key works and one responded its simple you simply push all of these call buttons and the door opens and with in 20 seconds there was a guy on the other side of the door trying to open it (oohh yea there key holes on both sides) and they all thought I broke it and I know for a fact it was broke well before I have ever looked at it.

And further more the room is wired in the worst way I have every seen some plugs are 2 feet apart and others are the only plug on one side of the room. And even worse there is no either net cable hook up so I’m forced to type in work and copy it over when ever I get the capacity to get onto the internet during school days.

Now I’m even more tired so I’m going to lock up my laptop and hide it so nobody tries to steal it.

No comments: